martes, 3 de enero de 2012

Rest in peace, dear authors

I just found out today that three of my favorite authors died in 2011. I had only heard about one of their deaths, so the other two were unexpected. What a sad year.

Rest in peace:

--Anne McCaffrey

One  of the most well-known and best science fiction writers. Creator of Pern, the Rowan, Acorna, and The Ship who Sang. She was the first woman to win a Hugo Award and a Nebula Award, as well as a Grand Master of science fiction. I grew up reading her novels at the school and town libraries, and so many of her novels are currently on my bookshelf that I´ve lost count. I had hoped to be able to meet her at a book signing someday, like I met her son. No such luck. RIP. I will always remember the world that first inspired me to write.



--Dianna Wynne Jones

Mother of Howl´s Moving Castle and so many other fantasy stories, like the Chrestomanci cycle, all with her characteristic writing style. Some of her books were rather strange, but all of them made you fall in love with them. I also read many of these when I was in junior high school. Howl´s Moving Castle and all of the Chrestomanci cycle (also on my shelves) will continue to be favorites for the rest of my life. RIP.



--Brian Jacques


Creator of Redwall in all its aspects and an author who taught me that having animals as main characters didn´t necessarily make a book a book for young children, but it could be for young adults too. Having the hares of Salamandastron shout "Eulaliaaa!" as a battle cry was the first time the name-I-could-have-had actually tickled my fancy. Nowadays, I still use Laia as a screenname, and remembering the hares still makes me smile. RIP.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario